Wednesday, April 20, 2005

yup, sometimes i do pray

‘Was rummaging through my old files last night when I stumbled upon this prayer that I hastily wrote for some program at the Department in March last year. It was for “He Says, She Says,” an informal discussion conducted annually by the Workers’ Welfare Research Division.

Out of desperation, Adie asked me to lead the opening prayer. She very well knew that I’m not into that prayer thing. And neither is she. So, probably to escape a possible fix by leading it herself, she delegated the opening prayer to me and gave me no room to say no. The bitch!

The program’s topic that time was the emergent concept of “housebands” or husbands who take the traditional role of homemakers, which is oftentimes unjustly appointed to women. The topic is already passé and does not merit further exposition. But, since this is an extremely macho and chauvinist society in which males think that taking on anything conventionally associated with females degrades their masculinity, this topic would make an interesting, if not controversial, point of discussion.

So I excitedly sprinted to BY Building to say my first prayer in ten years. Here’s what I said:

“In the name of…

[I deliberately paused for a while here. Juliet later said that she was already about to make the sign of the cross but stopped when she heard what I said next. Hehe. That’s exactly the effect I wanted to achieve]

…political correctness, our invocation this morning will not be centered on any particular religion.

“Let us all bow our heads and invoke whoever or whatever god we worship.

“Let us ask for the guidance of the spirits so that our program would become a success. Let us seek enlightenment rather than divisiveness; tolerance rather than bigotry; and open-mindedness rather than parochialism. May we open our eyes to the realities of our time, and consequently, discard ancient, obsolete gender roles. May we accept the evolving and increasingly inter-changing responsibilities of both genders and strive to discharge them without prejudice. Let us supplicate to our respective deities so that we may be given the strength to understand that taking the responsibilities of the opposite sex is not tantamount to self-degradation.

“May we learn to think critically on our own and not be clouded by the myopic dogma of powerful religious institutions. May we learn to accept that we need to change our perceptions first before we could aspire for true gender equality.

“And, finally, let us invoke whatever supernatural being we believe in for guidance so that we may arrive at a higher level of moral progress that would afford us to regard every person not merely as a woman or a man, but as a human being.

“That is all.”

After that, I was never asked to lead a prayer again.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was some prayer. I never knew you could pray like that.

But if I were in the audience, right after you got off the stage (or wherever it was that you had to stand to say the prayer), I'd have bashed you on the head. :P

Hoy I hope you don't mind if I link your blog to mine. You have some funny posts and I have really weird friends. They'd probably like what you blog about -- at least some ha. hehehe.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger slim whale said...

sure! go link my blog to yours. i just hope you had identified yourself so i could read your blog too, as well as those of your weird friends'.

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

even when my father lives, the song "the living years" (some coulda- woulda-shoulda song about dads and sons)still moves me. interesting folks you got there - now i know where you picked them genes. great piece!

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger slim whale said...

lev,

yup, you shouldn't wonder why i grew up a weirdo cause both my parents are! hehe

my greatest fear is not to be able to make them feel how much i love them. i hate to sing that shouda, coulda song about sons and fathers someday.

 
At 4:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jusko, you're really weird. I just read the recent post. Engerks!

Ayoko nga ipaalam kung sino ako at kung ano ang URL ng blog ko.

I don't think I'd like you knowing my weird friends. Weird ka na ngang friend ko eh tapos meet mo pa iba kong weird friends. Talamak na weird friends sa buhay ko! :P

As usual, anonymous pa rin. Kung hindi mo alam kung sino ako, magpasalamat ka! :P

Yang Lev ba na yan eh yung Lev dyan sa opisina nyo? Si Levinson fresh from Japan ba yan?

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger slim whale said...

weird my ass!

kilala kita kung sino ka no! obvious na eh. anonymous ka pa dyan.

oo yun si lev!

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger slim whale said...

hhmmmm, teka, anonymous (aka pining), how did you know about lev?

kaw ha, type mo sya no? may hidden desire ka no? baka magalit na naman bf mo...sige punta ka sa office tapos introduce ko kayo...

 
At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahahaha!!! Magkape nga tayo minsan...sana tayo nina Lorie...potah, natatawa ako talaga e...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home